On 9 Apr 2002 at 10:07, Steve Schear wrote:

> New breed spam filter slashes junk email
> 10:31 09 April 02 NewScientist.com news service
>
> A new breed of spam-filtering technology that combines peer-to-peer
> communications with machine learning could intercept nearly all unwanted
> email, according to its creators.
>
> http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992141

Sounds like it should work quite well at eliminating spam
targeted directly at the user.  Probably not much risk
of an actual personal message looking enough like s spam
message to get flagged.

But for distribution lists I think there's substantial risk.
Potentially would-be censors could block
posts as alleged spam.

Also, there's a major security concern.  The article didn't
say whether users would have to keep a complete
copy of the spam database on their local machines
or whether they'd have to upload each mail message to the
servers with the database, but I think they'd have to do one or the
other, and each has obvious drawbacks.
(It should be safe to just upload a hash of each message received
and compare that to the database, but even that has some risks,
and besdies, I got the impression they wanted to do a more
thorough comparison.  Checking hashes could easily be defeated
by appending a separate random string to each copy of the
message anyway).

All in all, I vastly prefer hashcash.

George