--
On 18 Feb 2002 at 14:37, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> we still need one of the machines to be outside a firewall. I
> think what anonymous is describing is the situation when each
> and every non-corporate customer is behind a firewall owned by
> an ISP, corporations shield their employees behind one of their
> own, where making a profit on non-firewalled connectivity and/or
> proxies opens one up to expensive lawsuits and where
> non-firewalled connectivity is too expensive to be widely bought
> just for non-profit use. A balkanized Internet -- it's a bleak
> prospect, and the signs are that's what we're slowly sliding
> towards, at least at the moment.

IPV6 to the rescue.

Every network behind a NAT router should set up a 6to4 tunnel,
probably some time early in 2003.

IPv6 is almost source code compatible with IPv4, so every
application should soon be recompiled to be IPv6 compatible.

Every computer with a recent operating system, for example recent
linux kernels and windows XP, theoretically supports IPv6.

So if your P2P application is IPv6 compatible, you can get a semi
permanent IPv6 IP automatically from a server, and thereafter do
peer to peer, just as if you were full, no kidding, on the
internet.

IPv6 is being driven largely by demands for peer to peer.  Phone
companies want to give each cell phone an IP address (being done
already in Japan).  Businesses want to videoconference.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     bZKSBSjNMZ8oyTPKxYPWV6RgQaZwt6mM8R/eZcyC
     4JMoDxw0Bk4JN3l44B4rbsaulwD+bcAkYzr9R3Vs6