> Increasingly however, we see smartcard interfaces sold for PCs.
> What for, I wonder?

You'll see them used to carry certificates for digital signatures in
business applications. A firm I used to work for, eOriginal, Inc., uses
them for document signing under the American electronic signature
legislation, to do things like fully electronic mortgages, resellable on
the secondary market. They've been using a PKCS11 interface provided by
Baltimore Technologies' KeyTools Pro, but other implementations exist, of
course.

It's certainly no huge end-user PKI rollout, though. As far as user
authentication goes in a corporate environment (say, for authentication on
a VPN tunnel), I'm unclear on how a digital certificate locked with a
password is any more secure than your standard SecureID token backed by a
password; both rely on knowledge-based and possession-based security.
Random number generation versus NP-hard problem is the only difference.
(Though I know a guy who broke some early generations of the SecureID
randomizer after watching the sequence for about 10 minutes.)

- John Stoneham