Anonymous wrote:

> >From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: "Tyler Durden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: Durden lies, was: Echelon-like resources...
> >Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:33:46 +0200 (CEST)
> >
> >On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 10:29:53 -0400, you wrote:
> > >
> > > "War is just a racket ... something that is not what it seems to the
> > > majority of people. Only a small group knows what its about. It is
> > > conducted for the benefit of the very few at the expense of the
> > > masses."  --- Major General Smedley Butler, 1933
> > >
> > > "Our overriding purpose, from the beginning through to the present
> > > day, has been world domination - that is, to build and maintain the
> > > capacity to coerce everybody else on the planet: nonviolently, if
> > > possible, and violently, if necessary. But the purpose of US foreign
> > > policy of domination is not just to make the rest of the world jump
> > > through hoops; the purpose is to faciliate our exploitation of
> > > resources."
> > > - Ramsey Clark, former US Attorney General
> >
> >Is there some reason you want to publish these bogus, uncitationed,
> false,
> >propaganda quotations?
> >Just adding to misinformation? Preferring to further downgrade the public
>
> >discourse? Planting lies
> >for subsequent citation as proof of something? What an asshole.

Anonymous had better learn to read, or at least quote email correctly.
The signature quotations were not posted by Durden, but by Harmon
Seaver. I too found them astonishing, but unlike anonymous, I try to
check things out before calling foul. Anon should learn to use Google.

Ramsey: http://www.thesunmagazine.org/bully.html

The Sun is an alternative news magazine which has
been in print since 1974. It's mammothly unlikely
that they would fabricate the interview out of whole cloth,
since Clarke would sue for libel and/or defamation.

Butler: Numerous sources. Butler certainly existed;
Amazon has at least two biographies available, and
one of them has a sample page image refering to his
1935 book 'War is a Racket', titled after the 1933
speech.

Part of the speech can be found here:
http://www.fas.org/man/smedley.htm

5 chapters of the book can be found here:
http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/articles/warisaracket.htm

If anonymous were a person of character he/she/it would
apologize, first to Tyler Durden, for misquoting, and second
to Harmon Seaver, but accusing him of lying.

Peter Trei