On Wednesday 30 October 2002 13:17, David E. Weekly wrote:
> Cypherpunks,
>
> I run a 501(c)(3) non-profit ...
>
> I'd like to understand how we could be useful to the cypherpunk
> community.

I went through this myself a few years ago, when my nice new DSL line
with static IP was burning a hole in my pocket. My solution was to
archive a handful of mailing lists including cpunks and cpunx-news. (
http://archives.abditum.com/ )

One thing to think about is how much heat you're willing to take. If you
run a remailer output node, you can count on spam recipients sending
you hate mail. They might send hate mail to your upstream, too. You
might get nastygrams from lawyers. Depending on your hookup, your
upstream might boot you off.

If you host collections of articles, archives of mailing lists,
snapshots of websites, or similar, you'll probably be violating
someone's copyright at some point. Complaints about violations can be
resolved by taking down or hiding the offending material (that's been
my experience, anyway), but it can be a nuisance.

Getting away from controversial activities, you might serve as a mirror
for some tools site like freshmeat or sourceforge. This can be
automated, so after setup it requires disk space and bandwidth but not
much human time.

You can set up your own collection of tools and articles, grabbing
everything that anyone mentions on the cpunks list and soliciting
contribitions. This will take more human time on your end because
you'll need to set up the pages, projects, links, and what-not.

--
Steve Furlong    Computer Condottiere   Have GNU, Will Travel

Vote Idiotarian --- it's easier than thinking