> As always, standards are driven by the mass-market and the mass market
> is already speaking on this one. In 18 months time there will be no
> difference between mobile phones & cheap digital cameras - all but the
> cheapest phones will come with built-in cameras.

hate to bud in but ...

it is the cheap phones & plans that actually capitalize on the camera
phones. In Japan the easy example is J-Phone. They couldn't migrate to 3G or
upgrade to full 2.5G, so they put out really, really cheap camera phones
(subsidized with rebates to make them practically free) and captured the
teen market. In the US (as seen by TO-Mobiles extremely cheap new camera
phone currently being hocked in the US for a carrier that had to be
rebranded in order to now be sold off), this approach will be picked up by
more and more of the discount carriers (including pay as you go schemes) -
especially as rates are whatever the carrier want to make them for data.

> Its almost certain that these devices will have GPS location, and
> probable that they will have Bluetooth as well. 802.11 less likely
> because of power consumption - possible that there will be little "base
> stations"  to go Blt <-> WiFi  so the Bluetooth becomes a wireless drop
> cable.

The GPS locators all come pre-built in to the newer phones in Asia and
Europe & are heading to the US quicker then you can say government
ailout  -- now whether the carrier's announce this feature and/ or the crack
sales staffs at their stores know about them or not is irrelevant. Just
getting a Cingular or AT&T Wireless carrier or salesperson to acknowledge
that you can flip chips from their phones to other phones is impossible,
(based on extensive personal research in the DC and NYC areas) as they won't
or don't understand the concept - but that doesn't mean it can't and isn't
being done.  Wi-Fi doesn't exist yet, but it is being experimented on and
will come as bandwidth use picks up, in order to cash in on VoIP schemes
(especially since this use - voice or not - could be labeled as data and
carriers could price at will and this would make up for the lost money from
the flat rate pricing wars).

> Realtime video isn't on the horizon unless someone pulls a lot of
> bandwidth out of the bag, as ever network speeds grow more slowly than
> processing power.

Actually in Asia (notably Korea and Japan) it works as well as internet
RealPlayer streaming video (in Japan, KDDI's flips from 2.5 to 3G without a
hitch and when going from 3 to 2.5G presents just a short time lag in time -
think of the "buffering" on RealPlayer - & NTT DoCoMo's all 3G video works
pretty flawlessly, but has certain area restrictions that they're working on
correcting). Europe's lagging a bit, but several government & EU loans are
subsidizing infrastructure costs and new intra-carrier arrangements are
helping them move towards video-capability by years end (at least in the
bigger cities). In the US the bandwidth is being sat on by carriers, as most
carriers own it already (remember the 3G Auctions a few years ago?) they
just don't have the money to roll-out a new infrastructure at the moment &
our government doesn't look ready to subsidize a complete infrastructure
redo like the French, German, Swedish (et al). As soon as the telcos see a
money making app they'll be on it quicker then you could imagine -- and with
several foreign carriers looking for investments in the US mobile market in
Q1 2003, it could be a lot sooner then anyone thinks.

;~)