Tim May wrote:

> There are a lot of Godel anecdotes to tell. I never met him.
>
> Two things about his theory:
>
> 1. There's a more powerful (IMNSHO) formulation of it in terms of
> algorithmic information theory, usually associated with Greg Chaitin
> but also drawing on the AIT work of Kolmogorov and others. This says,
> in informal language, "no theory can describe something more
> complicated than itself." If a theory has 20 bits of complexity, things
> of 21 bits or more just can't be "described/proved." Rudy Rucker has a
> good description of this in his excellent book "Mind Tools." And
> Chaitin has authored several books and a few very readable "Scientific
> American" types of articles. Google will have more on his sites, his
> papers.

I wonder at the real-world relevance. Even Peano arithmetic needs an axiom
scheme containing an infinite number of axioms (as does Presburger
arithmetic).

I also doubt the rigor of Chaitin's work, but I'm just stating an opinion
here. He seems to omit "except it doesn't apply here", and say more than he
has proved.

I suppose in terms of 15 axiom 2 rule first order predicate calculus it
might be important, but who needs that? (dons flameproof suit, I didn't mean
it entirely seriously)

> 2. This said, my point about not looking to Godelian undecidability
> sorts of issues for crypto is that it just appears to be "too far out
> there." Nobody, to my knowledge, has ever found a way to make such
> things useful in crypto...not even things like "Presburger arithmetic,"
> which is "harder" than NP-complete but not yet Godelian undecideable.

Here I agree, but I'd add the qualification "so far". For instance
Paris-Harrington might lead to something interesting (though it's at most
tangential to Godelian undecideability).

-- Peter Fairbrother