No, I haven't read that story, but I was wondering if, in the dual-message cryptogram we've been discussing (under "eJazeera") if, instead of two messages, there are two executable files.The "true" one will spit out the desired message (which may in inself be an executable, of course), and the fake one belches up a trojan, or whatever (or a virus plus a viable fake message).

I assume this kind of thing has been discussed previously?

From: Adam Shostack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Short story?
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 15:22:41 -0500

I'm trying to remember details (author, title) of a short story that I
read once.  Its main feature, or the one that's standing out in my
mind, is the obsessive hacker who studies a target to figure out his
password, at which he only has one guess.  The zinger is that the very
security concious target has selected that password as a booby trap,
and there's a second password which our hacker doesn't have.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

Adam

					               -Hume