On Friday, December 6, 2002, at 10:10  AM, Greg Pelcak wrote:

The best way to say it is "Please add me to your do not call list", you don't need any confirmation after that, you can just hang up. Some telemarketers will try to read you a disclaimer saying that it may take up to 30 days to remove your name and blahdy blah, but they are still required to put your name on the list.
The "do not call" list is mandated by law, though, and is company wide.
And anyone interested in liberty should be repulsed by such laws, regardless of their "practical" benefits.

Consider this. I have your phone number, either through a phone book or told to me or however gotten, fully legally. I call your number. I offer something, perhaps something for sale, whatever.

You say to me: "Put me on your do not call list."

I say, "Say what? Send me $30 and I'll put you on that list."

The point being that there is no requirement in a free society that I keep such a list, that I honor requests to be added to such lists, and so on. If you don't wish to be telephoned, keep your number secret.

I don't need permission from Big Brother to call your number.

Nor does your request that I not call you obligate me not to.

(Nothing personal, but I hate seeing list members here advocating statist solutions.)

--Tim May
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." --Robert A. Heinlein