On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Dan Veeneman wrote:

> You're thinking too crudely.  Imagine, if you will,
> being able to control the downlink content of such
> a spacecraft.

But you can do that from earth, you don't need anything in space.

> Analogous to finding an eavesdropping device in your office.
> Much better to feed it false information than shut it off.

Strong crypto anyone?

> >Making it
> >look like an accident is going to be harder, but I bet
> >that's coming too.
>
> Already been done, at least to comsats.

I'd be interested in a reference for that one.  China's theft of
a crypto device is well publicized, so tapping is straight forward.
Not sure they can fake a download, but I guess if I owned a satellite
I'd be worried about the possiblity.

On another note, since the satellite data is digital, you'd want several
competing companies to feed you pictures.  Otherwise simple faking is
too easy.  So it's in everyone's interest to have multiple birds all
looking from different angles.  Rather than fighting each other by
getting in each other's way, they'd want to work together to ensure
*real* pictures are available to everyone.  Only governments would want to
destroy birds, and they'd have a hard time justifying it (unless they
were at war with corporations, and unlikely scenario in todays facist
world).

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike