On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Mike Rosing wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Adam Shostack wrote:
>
> > The Volkh conspiracy blog had this Learned Hand quote recently:
> >
> > "I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon
> > constitutions, upon laws and upon courts. These are false
> > hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the
> > hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution,
> > no law, no court can even do much to help it. While it lies
> > there it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it."
> >
> > The entirety is at
> > http://www.criminaljustice.org/public.nsf/\ENews/2002e67?opendocument.
>
> Yup, all the ink and all the paper doesn't mean squat.  Who points the
> guns where is what matters.

And how does that get decided? By ink and paper.

      We are all interested in the future for that is where you and I
      are going to spend the rest of our lives.

                              Criswell, "Plan 9 from Outer Space"

      [EMAIL PROTECTED]                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      www.ssz.com                               www.open-forge.org