On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Anonymous via the Cypherpunks Tonga Remailer wrote:

> The main question is - is 1984-type society stable ?

It's locally stable, but not globally stable.  It eventually
has to collapse.

> All this lamenting about hamstringed sheeple and fascist state does no
>good if it cannot motivate some effective resistance.

The state creates the motivation.  Focusing the motivation is
the hard part.

> My take is that via decimation of the middle class, successful
>subverting of the education system and development of the best propaganda
>machinery in the known history, the grounds are ready for a long-term
>stable totalitarian state.

No, it's got too many loose cannons.  It won't be long term.

> The WTC theatre was a masterpiece. I don't know if USG directly,
>indirectly or via simple negligence sponsored that event - but I am
>positive that the mythology of "government is too dumb to do anything
>intelligent" is outright wrong. They are not dumb. The WTC was used with
>extreme efficiency - I don't think that they missed any aspect of
>capitalizing on it.

There may be individuals in government who are smart, but they spend
most of their time outsmarting the other smart people in government
and not too much time worring about the masses.  The majority of
government employees are robots.  If they aren't acting like robots, they
get slapped around a lot.  The bureaucrats have tried to capitalize on
WTC, but now they have another big department to fight with.  That's
not what they expected!

> So, what can be done to blow the brains of the fascist state?

Violence isn't the only way to change things.  So far it seems
a good way to perpetuate the state.

> The small, or better negligible number of intellectuals and desperadoes
>of various kinds (from cypherpunks to militias) are not going to do it.
>Not enough discomfort, balls and guns.

When the NRA and ACLU are fighting the same battle, it ain't so
negligible.  that they aren't focussed in the same direction is
a problem that makes it easier for the state to defend themselves.

> Foreign opponents ? Unlikely. Europe has no military to speak of, and
>60,000 US troops in wiesbaden have tight control of the nuclear arsenal.
>The only semi-independent power is France. Russia ? It's still trying to
>stop the slide into the third world.

Foriegn opponents strengthen the state!  We're letting North Korea build
nukes with the hope that they will actually use them.  When that happens,
the US government becomes *important*.  We need to find a way to prove
they are impotent.

> So that leaves us with china, and it seems that chinese are in a mood
>for having two cooperating fascist governments rather than war.

The Chinese already have a good hold over the US.  Economically anyway.

> Who then ?

The battle is already engaged.  The "liberals" are regrouping, having
had their butts kicked a bit - but they still represent the state.
The libertarians are growing.  In fact, it's one of the main problems
the far right has - many people see the libertarian argument as a way
of removing the state from their desired way of life.  So the answer
is "everybody".  It's not that hard to convince most people that the
facist state doesn't help them at all.

> I see the only hope in some unforeseen development, most likely
>technological, that would disrupt the mechanics of the empire faster than
>the empire can coopt it. This has happened in the fast. Gutenberg's press
>effectively destroyed the church's power.

Unfortunatly the state is paying for all the development, so they
know who can do what.

> I think that this is the main reason behind massive clampdown on
>research of any kind. The empire knows that runaway knowledge and
>intelligence can kill it - therefore it will ban it.

No, they know they have to control all research so they discover things
first.  If they stop discovering things, they die.

> This is not about bioweapons or something known. This is the drive to
>achieve the monopoly on the knowledge and ensure the longevity of the
>empire. Empire knows very well that if someone, in some garage, invents a
>zap gun, that may be the end of it. And this regularly happened in the
>history.

All empires die from corruption.  This one is no different.  That it
can't find 1 or 2 guys who can urge lots of people into suicide missions
is proof of their impotence.  The desire to attack somebody who
can't fight back is further proof of impotence - if the US had real
power we'd have no problems talking to China about clamping down on
North Korea.

> So, read books, do experiments and teach others the same. Don't forget
>to play good consumers during the day - you don't want to get on the
>List. We will know when someone invents the Zap Gun. You'll see heads
>exploding on live TV.

It's nice to dream.  The reality is rather boring.  When enough people
point out the emperor has no clothes and he's an impotent moron, a new
emperor takes his place.  When the corruption is complete, the whole
empire collapses.  Everybody still eats.  Life goes on.

We can help speed up the process a little.  But basicly the momentum
of the empire is going to keep it going like a rock in space.  It's
going to crumble from the inside, slowly, and turn into a dust ball
instead of a rock.  We just gotta make sure we're safely away from the
center when it goes splat :-)

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike