On Sun, 29 Dec 2002 09:46:22 -0500, jya wrote:

> Horses, guns, right and wrong, winners and
> losers, the USA v. the World. Simple-minded
> erotic pleasures, silliness writ larger than
> the wee woeful penis. Hanssen is us, or at
> least those who harbor dreams of conquest.

Hanssen's fall has nothing to do with lying, or betraying trust,
or trafficking in secrets, dead-dropping names to be killed,
outing safehouses, gps'ing the other side's drops, moving money,
competing with other chess players, or causing the death of
people who were ratted out. After all, that was basically his
job description. The problem wasn't his actions or their deadly
results, rather is was that instead of doing it to the people he
was assigned to do it to, he did it to the assigners.

His controllers knew that it was a high honor and a duty to
civilization to do "it" to others, but horrible treachery and
murderous treason to do "it" to them. No where in the agency's
whining about Hanssen do we lament what "it" is: our stock in
trade, our claim to budget, or reason to walk fast, stare cold
and hard and answer no questions, our right to subject others,
our freedom from being an object, a thing, like those to whom we
apply the craft, foreign and domestic. The ecumenical way.