At 03:07 AM 12/21/2002 -0800, Sarad AV wrote:
hi,
Don't encrypt, post it by snail mail.
I remember reading this in pgp's help document.
It addresses why we glue over our envelope and seal it.
It ofcourse is concealing (for the govt) and privacy (for the user).
The govt. never asks letters not to be glued and sealed
because of the vast majority of people using it.
When I was young, the US Postal Service charged
less money for unsealed envelopes than for sealed envelopes.
I think the year was about 1962 or 1963,
and the price was 5 cents for sealed envelopes
and 4 cents for unsealed and for post cards.
Since this was elementary school and we were learning about
community things like the Post Office and the Fire Department,
they didn't really explain why; I think it was leftover
regulations from wartime censorship during World War II
or the Korean Police Action.

Also, in the US, the police can request a "mail cover"
(which means recording who all your snail mail is from)
with much less legal formality than a search warrant,
and if they get a warrant to open all your incoming mail,
I don't think they're required to notify you.

But at the slightest at the use of encryption will
raise their brows.
This issue can only be fully solved when the vast
majority of people begin using encryption.

Encrypted spam wouldn't be a bad idea either.
(Ideally they'd encrypt all of the spam :-)

Actually, if you insisted on all your mail being encrypted,
that would cut down significantly on spam,
because the amount of individual work per message
required to encrypt something is significantly higher
than the work required to just email it,
which can scale badly and can also increase the
traceability of spam (by watching who downloads
large numbers of keys from keyservers, for instance.)

The extent to which obtaining keys is a traceable activity
depends a lot on the type of public key infrastructure
that's being used, and to some extent on the amount of
accuracy that you need - spammers selling lists to each other
probably wouldn't mind a 5-10% inaccuracy rate if it
meant they didn't have to use keyservers,
while people who want to preserve their privacy are
much more likely to download mass quantities of keys from servers
to avoid having it be obvious which ones they care about.