On Monday, February 3, 2003, at 12:48  AM, Meyer Wolfsheim wrote:
The only theory that I find remotely worth pursuing is that the shuttle
was bringing something back to earth that didn't want to come down. Tim
seems to have thoughts about this -- how easily could a satellite be
designed with a "self-destruct upon reentering Earth's atmosphere" device?

First, don't think "atmosphere" qua atmosphere, as the satellite was likely under vacuum most of the way down.

Second, I would do the self-destruct with accelerometers: if several accelerations are felt, detonate.

--Tim May
"They played all kinds of games, kept the House in session all night, and it was a very complicated bill. Maybe a handful of staffers actually read it, but the bill definitely was not available to members before the vote." --Rep. Ron Paul, TX, on how few Congresscritters saw the USA-PATRIOT Bill before voting overwhelmingly to impose a police state