On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Tyler Durden wrote:

> Will this work for -everything- that could go on a drive? (In other words,
> if I set up an encrypted disk, will web caches, cookies, and all of the
> other 'trivial' junk be encrypted without really slowing down the PC?)

Depends on how well you build the encryptor.  If you put a box between the
board and the disk which has lots of static ram you can pretty much make
speed a non-issue.

> The reason I ask is that's it's very easy to imagine that, say, FedGroup X
> wants to take out some outspoken or otherwise questionable person by
> secretly introducing some kiddie porn or whatnot onto the drive. 15 minutes
> later they burst through the door and grab the PC.
> If I buy PGP off the shelf, will it make the ENTIRE drive encrypted? (And
> will I wait half an hour for "Hard Drinkin' Lincoln" to download?)

PGP is file based.  It would be hard to push data onto a drive, but
it's pretty easy to eavesdrop.  Usuall targets do stupid things,
much easier to take advantage of that.

A web search on "encrypted disk" will get you some software based tools.

Patience, persitsence, truth,
Dr. mike