Couple months ago, our local Telecom decided to switch over from
easy-to-emulate EPROM-based "dumb smartcards" (described at
http://www.phrack.com/show.php?p=48&a=10 ) to Eurochip ones. Today seemed
a good day to learn more about them, so I sniffed around a bit (eg,
http://gsho.thur.de/phonecard/advanced_e.htm ) and stumbled over some data
that could have unpleasant implications.

In Europe, chip cards for paying in payphones are common. However, the
cards have serial numbers, usually assigned sequentially during the
manufacture.

It is possible to keep track of the serial numbers vs shipments. The
phones may record (or even online-report (eg, for "fraud prevention")) the
serial numbers of the cards used. Then it could be possible to list all
calls done from the same card, possibly indirectly identify the person who
made that call from a public payphone by matching their calling patterns.
It could be also possible to identify where and approximately when the
card was bought, putting more constraints to its owner's possible identity.

I can't assess the real proportions of this threat, but it is another
thing to be aware of.