Using a powerful high-frequency modulated infrared source (eg, a bank of
LEDs) located on a highly visible place, it couldbe possible to facilitate
local community broadcasts, effectively sidestepping all FCC regulations.

The advantage is absolutely no laws regulating using of infrared beams for
data transmissions.

The disadvantages are the need to use special equipment for receiving
(though possibly very cheap), the line-of-sight requirement, and possibly
couple more.

Using of infrared beams for establishing of data lines is fairly common
(see eg. project Ronja, http://ronja.jikos.cz/ ). It involves
bidirectional directional data transfers. However, if we use
omnidirectional transceivers and directional receivers and use only
unidirectional connection, we can use the same principle for broadcast as
well. (The disadvantage is that we need to use comparatively huge power
for driving the broadcasting LED banks. The advantage is that we don't
have nearby sensitive receiver circuits that would be jammed.)

Maybe it's unusable. Maybe it isn't, and somebody will find some use for
this idea.