Quoting Morlock Elloi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > why not just use ssh? you can scp the text to your host, encrypt/decrypt it
> > *there* then scp it back if needs be. you also then don't need to use
> > webmail - just have a mailbox on that server that you forward your webmail
> > to, and that you send email in the name of the webmail account from.
> > its easy enough to grab down puTTY whenever you need it.
>
> Ever tried to install a ssh client on a random internet cafe computer ?

I normally run a java-ssh applet using one time passwords to a mostly
throwaway account, loaded off an https web page, when I need remote
access from untrusted machines.  It works pretty well.

If I were using PGP like that, I'd probably disavow read perms on the
key and use an suid-another-user pgp script, to try to protect the PGP
key itself from copying...sort of analogous to a smartcard.

Using untrusted hardware for secure computation is living in sin, but
it's not too hard to minimize the risk.

ipaq running linux with 1xRTT and 802.11b is smaller than a .380, and
vastly more useful in modern warfare, though.

--
Ryan Lackey [RL960-RIPE AS24812]   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   +1 202 258 9251
OpenPGP DH 4096: B8B8 3D95 F940 9760 C64B   DE90 07AD BE07 D2E0 301F