> Declan McCullagh[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 at 10:29:36AM -0500, Trei, Peter wrote:
> > If the mail server introduces an increasing delay (similar
> > to the backoff mechanism in Ethernet) to it's response after the
> > first 2 RCPTs, the server becomes useless for sending spam.
> > Similarly, it could slow it's response if the rate of commands
> > which start a new message (HELO MAIL SEND SOML SAML)
> > from a given IP rises above a threshold.
>
> How would this work with legit mailing list servers making a delivery
> attempt? From what I understand, when I send something to Politech,
> postfix will try to connect to aol.com and deliver over a thousand
> messages in quick succession. That's more efficient than a thousand
> connections with one message each.
>
> -Declan

My goal is to allow anonymity in sending via open relays
to continue to exist, for low volume applications. Mailing lists
are never anonymous (though some are not widely
publicized). They always have a persistant nexus site. Servers
used to explode mailing lists could have a whitelist
for the lists they support.

Agreed, this does not deal with the spam problem on
cypherpunks. Since cpunks has (by policy) no restrictions
on posting, everyone can and does send spam through it.
Most mailing lists, however, are more restrictive, in that
only subscribers can post.

Peter Trei