Besides, can't you achieve something vaguely similar with simple
tarpitting?

If I understand tarpitting, I believe it is slowing down the SMTP communication with the sending mail server. Even if each transmission were slowed to one minute per message, consider a massive server that can be partitioned into hundreds or thousands of virtual servers that could each be sending mail. I'm not sure, but maybe each VS could have it's own IP address, appearing as a unique mail server.

Just some thoughts... I'm probably missing something. :)
http://ganns.com