At 11:59 AM 03/25/2003 -0800, Eric Murray wrote:
Apparently the CIA and MI6 have been faking WMD evidence for quite a while:

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?030331fa_fact1

That's why Friends of Bush like Richard Perle refer to Seymour Hersch, the author, as
"Hersch is the closest thing to a terrorist that the USA has".
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/18/1047749768373.html

And the problem isn't just that the evidence is faked,
or faked spectacularly badly, or that they've been using it to
lie to people who can then tell what they might perceive as the truth
to other people (like Congress or Bush), it's that they've
apparently lost track of who's lying to whom,
like the OLD Reagan/Bush administration occasionally did.
It's one thing for Dubya to lie to the US public on purpose,
but it's really tacky for his henchpersons to forget
whether they're asking him to lie or not.

From Hersch's article:

"One senior I.A.E.A. official went further. He told me,
        'These documents are so bad that I cannot imagine
        that they came from a serious intelligence agency.
        It depresses me, given the low quality of the documents,
        that it was not stopped. At the level it reached,
        I would have expected more checking.'"
"On March 14th, Senator Jay Rockefeller, of West Virginia,
        the senior Democrat on the Senate Intelligence Committee,
        formally asked Robert Mueller, the F.B.I. director,
        to investigate the forged documents."

Yeah, like that'll not only get lots of cooperation out of all the spooks,
but I'm sure it'll also result in the FBI being highly motivated to probe deeply
and tell Congress everything it finds out... At least when the KGB
investigated other parts of the KGB, they could find out who lied,
who knew they lied, and shoot them all to cover up their tracks.