> As for the "how", one wonders some form of "fake-stego" can't be
> incorporated somehow into non-stego programs, such as zip/compression
> utilities, file-sharing and so on.

For very-low-bandwidth data transfers hidden in wideband streams, we could
maybe use timing of packets. Wouldn't work with more congested networks,
and would need some kind of REALLY heavy-duty error correction, but could
be rather difficult to spot. The signal could be transported in the
intervals between the IP packets sent, or by dropping selected packets and
requesting retransmissions, or by swapping the order of some packets.

The world is crammed full with unused communication channels.

But this is just an immediate idea and I am sick and sleepy.

*cough*