Interesting OpEd piece in the NYT today pointing out that a manned Mars expedition becomes *much* more affordable if no return trip is planned. This is not a suicide mission; supplies could be sent for rest of the emigrants natural lives,

Gotcha. The obvious next place for a greatly expanded Camp X-ray operation. When we start rounding up the millions of terrorists amongst us we'll need a much bigger place to put 'em. And while they're there, might as well have 'em do some martian coalmining or whatever.

-TD

From: John Kelsey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Trei, Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "'Justin'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Lunar Colony
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:20:51 -0500

At 04:39 PM 1/15/04 -0500, Trei, Peter wrote:
Interesting OpEd piece in the NYT today pointing out that
a manned Mars expedition becomes *much* more affordable if
no return trip is planned. This is not a suicide mission;
supplies could be sent for rest of the emigrants natural
lives, and with the time they'd have they could actually
start towards building a self-sustaining colony, instead
of rushing to get science done before a return trip.

I think this is the right way to do the exploration, but also that our culture is more-or-less incapable of it politically and socially. Letting people make such a harsh personal choice, letting them die of old age or ill health on TV, it's hard for me to imagine the American people going for that.

Peter Trei

--John Kelsey, [EMAIL PROTECTED] PGP: FA48 3237 9AD5 30AC EEDD BBC8 2A80 6948 4CAA F259

Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers! http://shopping.msn.com/softcontent/softcontent.aspx?scmId=1418