At 10:31 AM 6/17/2004, John Gilmore wrote:
Our favorite civil servants, the Departments of Motor Vehicles, are about
to do exactly this to us.

Many states have sunshine laws that affect meetings their policymakers attend, at least if they attend them in official capacity. Could this be used here?

Robyn Wagner and I have tried to join AAMVA numerous times, as
"freetotravel.org".  We think that we have something to say about the
imposition of Unique ID on an unsuspecting public.  They have rejected
our application every time -- does this remind you of the Hollywood
copy-prevention "standards committees"?  Here is their recent
rejection letter:
At the same time, they let in a bunch of vendors of "high security" ID
cards as associate members.

Perhaps the "Independent Smartcard Developer Association" that Lucky ran for a while would be a useful front?