Elliot Shaikin sells privacy. But he doesn't accept credit cards.

Shaikin is the founder of Sovereign Solutions, a 3-year-old Las Vegas company that
provides individuals and corporations with confidential, anonymous and untraceable
personal security vaults. Clients of Sovereign Solutions need not reveal their
address, telephone number, driver's license number, Social Security number, credit
card number or even their name.
http://www.inbusinesslasvegas.com/2004/06/25/smallbizpro.html

All clients of Sovereign Solutions need to access their security vault any time of the
day or night, is a personal pin code, an iris scan and a two keys. Clients must pay in
cash.

"Checks and credit cards leave a paper trail," Shaikin said.

Clients can also rest assured their valuables are secure: Sovereign Solutions is
outfitted like Fort Knox.

"This place is bulletproof, fireproof and bombproof," Shaikin said.

For starters, the company headquarters -- tucked in a nondescript shopping plaza on
East Sunset Road -- is encased in a material that Shaikin said will stop a bullet. The
interior walls and doors are made of the same material, and the glass on the windows
is also bulletproof.

Visitors must pass through a metal detector immediately upon entering. In order to
gain access to the vaults, clients must first undergo an iris scan, a proven, safe and
irrefutable identification system. That will get them through the first set of doors.

Once inside the small intermediary chamber -- which is equipped, as is the vault
itself, with motion and sound sensors on the walls, floor and ceiling -- clients must
enter their five-digit personal pin number, which is assigned privately and retained
exclusively by clients. This gets them into the inner chamber where Sovereign
Solutions' 4,000 security boxes are stored. For security reasons, there are cameras
inside the vault, but there are also two private viewing rooms for customers who wish
to be alone with their valuables.

Sovereign Solutions
Owner: Elliot Shaikin

Founded: 2000

Industry: Personal security vaults

Location: 3110 E. Sunset Road

Work force: Eight

There are only two keys made for each of Sovereign Solutions' security boxes -- which
come in six sizes and range in price from $120 to $400 annually -- and clients keep
both of them.

"There are three things we tell every client," Shaikin said. "First, give us the name
of a trustee in case you have an accident. Second, don't lose the keys. It costs $150
to get a locksmith, and the client and one of our employees have to be present in
order for the locksmith to open the box. And number three, don't put anything in there
that's illegal. We tell it to them point blank up front. I've had people walk out the
front door and leave."

So how did Shaikin -- who previously built 15 strip shopping centers and four
industrial buildings in California -- get into the business of providing privacy?

Call it a bad banking experience.

"My daughter came to visit me and the only thing she brought was an electronic airline
ticket," he said. "I took her into a bank and wanted her to sign on a safe deposit box
and they wouldn't let her sign unless she had the ingredients -- a driver's license, a
Social Security card and a credit card. So I got mad and called the manager over."

The manager, he said, was of little help, upholding the bank's policy that required
multiple forms of identification.

"So I sent my daughter out to the car, got some bags out of the trunk, went back
inside, emptied the safety deposit box and put the key on the counter," he said.

He then closed his account with the bank and demanded his more than $10,000 in cash.
When the bank balked, saying the facility didn't have the funds on hand, Shaikin
threatened to call the news media. Twenty minutes later, an armored car arrived with
the money.

Shaikin got his cash -- and the inkling of an idea for a better way to store valuables.

"I went to see some people I respected in the legal community and they did some
research and said there was no law or regulation against what I was thinking of
doing," said Shaikin, who launched the company using personal funds in the upper six
digits.

So what happens if Sovereign Solution is served with a court order or subpoena to open
a client's box?

In a word, nothing.

A court order must specify a name, box number and contents. Sovereign Solution is not
an agent, and never has information about its clients, their corresponding vault
number or the contents of their vaults.

"We don't know the customer, therefore we do not have any legal obligation to the
customer for accepting search warrants or subpoenas," Shaikin explained. "I've been
investigated by all federal and state agencies -- the FBI, the CIA, the IRS, the
Justice Department, Metro -- and nobody has been able to violate privacy because we
don't know our customer. We do not require anything but a picture of the iris of the
eye. People who want privacy, anonymity and accessibility are coming here."