James A. Donald wrote:

    --
ken wrote:

And when was this stagnation?

R.A. Hettinga wrote:

Two words: Ming Navy

For those who need more words, the Qing Dynasty forbade ownership or building of ocean going vessels, on pain of death - the early equivalent of the iron curtain.

Which was a couple of millenia *after* the distinctive Confucian philosophy became the official code of most Chinese governments.
So that can't be the reason for Chinese stagnation. QED.

(Which as TD pointed out better than I could have was short-lived and nowhere near as general as we used to paint it)

And it was the later Ming period - not Qing