James A. Donald wrote:
    --
From:                   ken <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Do you really think that politics only exists where
there is a state?  I'd have thought the opposite is
true. Most states actively prevent most people
participating in politics.

The more authoritarian the state, the more in compells
people to participate in politics, making eveything they
do or think political, for example the endless meetings
in Cuba and Mao's china,

That seems almost the opposite of politics to me. The actual politics - the arguments, the decisions - has been done in some smoke-filled room beforehand. The public meeting is nothing more than the product launch.

Where there is no state everyone is a politician, all the time, and all public acts are overtly political.

So when I buy coffee, that is political?

Well, yes. If only because the buyer and seller are both extending the reach of their lives to influence others to behave in the way that they want. Using money in this case rather than votes or threats, but still in a sense a kind of politics.

And of course on a large scale more obviously what is more conventionally called politics - that small transaction, a dollar for a cup of coffee, multiplied by millions can cause armies to move, can set up and tear down governments, induce luxury in one place, famine in another. If we can say that war is politics carried on by another means we can also say that markets are politics carried on by other means.

Surely the non state area of our lives is the non
political area of our lives.

Not unless we are living as hermits. Our entire lives involve rubbing up against other people and negotiating our relations with them. Which is basically what politics is