http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0005/howe.shtml

#    FADE TO BLACK BY JEFF HOWE
#
#    The Motion Picture Association Shuts Down Crypto Research
#
#    [Image] t's 2:30  p.m. and  Roman Kazan  and his  fianc\351e
#    huddle  on a  couch in  the entryway  of Judge  Lewis A.
#    Kaplan's  chambers.  Kazan is  one  of  three defendants
#    accused  of  violating  copyright  law  by  distributing
#    DeCSS,  a  piece  of software  that  the  Motion Picture
#    Association of  America says can, in  theory, be used to
#    copy DVDs. Over the next three hours, Kazan's confidence
#    gives way to confusion then outrage.
#
#    At  5:30   p.m.  the  judge  hands  down  a  preliminary
#    injunction against him.
#
#    "I'm  being  sued for  something  I have  nothing  to do
#    with," he says.  Indeed, Kazan doesn't care a whit about
#    DeCSS, and  he never even heard  of the program until he
#    was served court  papers. But this is immaterial, as the
#    lawyers say.
#
#    Kazan's been  picked because he owns  an ISP that hosted
#    the code, and in the eyes of the motion picture industry
#    that  makes him  a  target. After  the injunction,  MPAA
#    president Jack Valenti would say it was "a great victory
#    for creative artists and consumers everywhere." But some
#    civil  libertarians   and  the  core  of  the  computing
#    community take a starker view, and Kazan agrees.
#
#    "I have  nothing, I mean nothing,  to do with this. It's
#    like,  I'm the  landlord and  I'm getting  charged for a
#    crime committed by  one of my tenants," Kazan says. Mark
#    Litvack,  an MPAA  attorney, says  they are  "willing to
#    work  with" Kazan.  But a promise  to drop  him from the
#    suit has so far not materialized.
[snip]

----

http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0005/silverglate.shtml

#    DVD DESPERADOES BY HARVEY A. SILVERGLATE
#
#    Are the Hackers Unfairly Prosecuted?
#
#    In  a fit of megalomania, Canute, the 11th-century
#    king of Norway, held his hand over the ocean and ordered
#    the  tide to  recede. When  it comes  to the information
#    age, Canute's modern-day successors are the film studios
#    and their  trade group the Motion Picture Association of
#    America  ( MPAA ).  They've  unleashed  a furious  legal
#    barrage  against  the  cypherpunks who  found  a  way to
#    decrypt  and  copy  DVDs.  So  far,  the  case has  gone
#    industry's way, but  in the long run, their attack seems
#    as doomed to fail as Canute's attempt to master the sea.
#
#    The  industry  says  it spent  hundreds  of  millions of
#    dollars  implementing  the technology  to  safeguard the
#    studios'  copyrights  of movies  distributed  on digital
#    videodiscs, and they were not about to let that money go
#    down some hacker's drain.
[snip]