I thought this was worthy of cypherpunks' attention. Islam may be
able to come up with something worthwhile yet ...

I particularly liked the attitude:
Q10. Have you allocated a budget for the Dubai Internet City?
A10. We will invest as much as necessary. But the total outlay will run into
a couple of hundred million dollars over the next couple of years.

Hype aside, I think they are serious about this.
You'd probably only need one person on site to run a business from here.

> October 29, 1999
>
> His Highness General Sheikh Mohammed announces Dubai Internet City -
world's first free trade zone for e-business.

> "The City will offer companies, in addition to 100 per cent foreign
ownership, tax exemptions for both corporate and personal incomes, land on
renewable 50-year leases and a 'single-window' for all government
clearances, including those related to trade licenses and work permits."

> Dubai Internet City will also be home to the world's first Internet
University, which will offer international quality courses in areas like
e-business, e-finance, e-marketing, multimedia, e-design, e-management, etc.
The City will also have an R&D center for new technology initiatives and a
state-of-the-art Science & Technology Park that will support all residential
e-enterprises. Permanent exhibition and display facilities will ensure that
Dubai Internet City becomes a frequently visited destination for all
leading-edge companies.

> Dubai has always been a business-friendly city. The stated belief has been
that “if it is good for the merchants, it is good for Dubai”.

> The Dubai Internet City will be committed to the development of a
business-friendly environment, encouraging new, innovative, critical ideas
and business sense, thereby leading to an emergence of an internet community
which will be known for it’s leadership and innovation. Benefits, allowances
and special efforts will be made to ensure this. Taking the concept of
business-friendliness even further, the Dubai Internet City will offer the
benefits of:

> No corporate profits tax,
> No personal income tax and
> No hidden costs in the form of import/ export taxes .

See http://www.dubaiinternetcity.com/faq1.htm

regards,
Mail: wayne clerke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Voice: +971 506 43 4853
PGP key id: AEB2546D  F/P: D663D11EDA19D74F5032DC7EE001B702
PGP key id: 57AA1C10  F/P: 9926BF8918B7EB3623A7 AFA46572C5B857AA1C10
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.