If the Congressional Privacy Caucus actually did anything, it could be a
very dangerous group. It's primarily a collection of folks not known for
their commitment to freedom and liberty.

It is not focused on government invasions of privacy, and is instead
intended to lobby for severe restrictions on businesses' use of
information. The goals seem worthwhile, but the means are not. Regulations
they demand would require businesses to open their books -- "an individual
must have access to personably identifiable information held by a private
company" -- to individuals in a way that invites unintended consequences.

Some of the principles that ostensibly apply to government agencies --
"individuals must be informed in a clear and conspicuous manner when...
governmental agencies plan to collect... personally identifiable
information" -- clearly won't. The NSA is not likely to request permission
when conducing Echelonesque surveillance, and the FBI is not known for
asking nicely before wiretapping you.

The Congressional members of this new caucus generally are not known for
their opposition to recent government invasions of privacy, and bills they
have championed would rob us of our most cherished freedoms. I'm not sure
why this caucus will be any different.

Background:
http://www.senate.gov/~shelby/press/prsrs314.htm
http://www.senate.gov/~shelby/press/prsrs315.htm
http://daschle.senate.gov/releases/00/02/2000209705.html
http://torricelli.senate.gov/Live_NEWS.htm
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d106:s.00809:
Markey background:
http://www.house.gov/markey/cp_telecommunications.htm
http://www.house.gov/markey/cp_health.htm
http://www.house.gov/markey/cp_finance.htm

>From: Kent Lassman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Subject: CPC.
>Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:58:27 -0500
>
>What's up with the Congressional Privacy Caucus?  It seems that when
>Democrats like Tom Daschle, Paul Sarbanes, and Barbara Boxer team up on an
>issue the very essence of individual liberty is not on the tips of their
>tounges.  While I'm glad to see the Hill take an interest in the issue and
>its role in a healthy and functioning market economy, I'm ready to wager
>that the first of their proposals will be pro-regulatory.  Note to self, Bob
>Torricelli says that his new legislation is not pro-regulatory...it only
>would clog up the civil justice system with even more crank lawsuits.

 From National Journal's Tech Daily Thursday:
>"When everyone from Joe Barton to Ed Markey calls
>for greater privacy, it is not a question of if, but a question of how and
>when," Barton said, comparing his conservative record with
>Markey's more liberal one.
>Barton said one of the reasons he joined the group
>was that it had the support of House Republican leaders. "That way it is
>hard to
>say that this is a Democratic issue," he said.
>Meanwhile, the dozen Senate Democrats who met during
>the task force's first meeting have taken a different approach. The group
>is hoping to build consensus among Democrats on privacy
>and promote Democratic initiatives, according to a source who attended
>the meeting.
>Democratic senators who attended the closed-door
>meeting included Minority Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota, Paul
>Sarbanes of Maryland, Barbara Boxer of California,
>Christopher Dodd of Connecticut, Ron Wyden of Oregon, Robert
>Torricelli of New Jersey, and Richard Durbin of Illinois.

-Declan