At 12:14 PM 03/06/2000 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Subject: I got your ID right here
The title didn't actually get in the headers,
but we might as well use it for followup discussion.

> [selling fake ID on the net, ohhh, nooooo]

This ought to be ripe for a cheap and thorough sting,
since the goods are delivered by snail mail.
All the cops need to do is set up a large number of web sites selling them,
wave some lawyerly words making it not count as entrapment,
and go bust the recipients when they get their ID.
(A couple of nice touches are either to mail them subpoenas
instead of ID, or mail them ID that's marked as "arrest this person".)
Once the consumer community gets the hint that half the fake ID web sites
are run by cops, the market dries up considerably.

>         The hub of counterfeit operations is in
>         Southern California, most likely because
>         52% of the nation's 5.8 million illegal
>         immigrants live in the area, INS officials
>         said. According to INS Special Agent
>         Louis Rodi, local counterfeiting rings
>         produce enough documents to "provide
>         one to just about every illegal immigrant in Los Angeles."

Well, duhhh!   Just about every undocumented immigrant probably
needs one, so that's the amount you'd produce :-)
                                Thanks!
                                        Bill
Bill Stewart, [EMAIL PROTECTED]