One alternative to changing the email address is to have a nonce
which must appear in the post for it to be forwarded to end users.
Change it once a month or so. Make it either a random string of
digits, or a string unlikely to occur in a post by accident.

The point here is not to prevent individual posts, but rather to stop
mass machine-generated spam. The mass mailers, while having
some flexibility (for example, providing a bogus From: header
which changes with each message), don't have rulesets
capable of arbitrary per-recipient customization beyond the
"Dear Cypherpunks:" level.

If we implemented a rule that said that valid posts must contain
the year and month in the Subject line (eg '[0005]' as this post
does) we'd get rid of 99 98/100s % of the spam. If a server receives a
message which does not contain the string, toss it and return
a message explaining the policy. Users sending anonymously
won't recieve it, but are generally clueful enough to figure out the
policy. (After all, they read the list somehow).

There are a number of Usenet newsgroups where the spam level
has risen to such a level that a similar policy has been instituted:
the newsgroup's initials appears in the subject lines of 'real' posts.
I have never seen spam which spoofed this mechanism,
even though the nonce is static over a span of years.

This a bit like putting the 'Club' antitheft device on a car. It won't
stop a really *determined* bad guy, but will thwart the vast
majority of them. It's also easy to implement at the CDR nodes.

Peter Trei