[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In a couple weeks I'm going to release Tcl/Tk code that can
> a) download all articles from a newsgroup,
> b) download selected (by any header line) files from a newsgroup.
>
> The software itself is "generic". (It's not the first, but
> might be the first platform-independent, free, mit source.)
>
> It [Unix-based] works now, I have to add a GUI and test on my iMac.
> Eventually, I'll need someone to try it on PeeCees.
>
> I also need to add a file splitter and builtin remailer
> capabilities.
>
> Please post any constructive comments regarding the matter.

yell if you need people to test this.

additionally, you might want to give the splitting mechanism a thought.
aside from the standard split(1), there are also more interesting ways
to split stuff. one thing I've seen splits bitwise (sic!), so that
unless you have all the chunks you don't even know what it is you're
holding in your hands. this will make filtering extremely difficult.

> I see the full DeCSS source is still available via www.2600.com
> links to other sites. 8*)  I thought they were court-ordered
> not to do that?

nope. the court order was about having the code itself on the page. MPAA
tried to get that extended to including linking, but no ruling on that
has been done so far.