A followup article on the legal aspects is here:

My favorite quote from an international law prof at Georgetown University:

"I suspect we could blow them out of the water, although I wouldn't
recommend that, and if they were in fact propagating illegal material I bet
nobody would really care. There would be few consequences if nobody is
interested."

-Declan