At 8:30 AM -0700 6/28/00, Frates, Jarrod A wrote:
>Is there any way for the list owner to set up a filter to check whether
>incoming mail is from accounts signed up on the list?  I know the From field
>can be spoofed, but anything to increase the signal to noise ration would be
>appreciated.

Yes, of course it is possible to do this. Many lists are already
thusly limited to subscribers. For example, coderpunks, cryptography,
fight-censorship, cyberia-l, etc.

However, as the archives will clearly show, the Cypherpunks
list/lists have historically not been restricted in this way. One of
the reasons is to ensure that remailed messages can reach the list.

(There are ways this could still be done, even by restricting posts
to subscribers. For example, "subscribers OR anything from any
remailer site." Or even anything with the word "anonymous" or
"anonymizer" or "cypherpunk" in the "From:" field. Or, as several
folks have suggested, anythink with a keyword in the headers.)

As for the kiddie porn request (included below), this is just the
logical extension of the cops and narcs who are trolling this list
when they got no meaningful response to their "can u dewdz help me
make bombz?" trolls.

Unfortunately, cops are exempt from the laws when they solicit for
sex, offer child porn, sell drugs to people, plan break-ins, and even
arrange bombings. "Entrapment," hell, they are often the
_ringleaders_ in planning terrorist activities!

No free country can allow its cops and narcs to behave this way.
Imprison most of them, execute many of them.

--Tim May