I just spoke to Sparklist.com's tech support. Mike said that the
Cypherpunks mailing list isn't really being subscribed to Sparklist's
mailing lists, but is getting the automatic welcomes. Sparklist could
ban toad.com from the recipient list, but that would just result in a
different message, an automatic rejection.

When I suggested that the only way to handle this would be for us to
find out who's doing the subscribing and string him up from a tree,
Mike didn't agree but said that he couldn't think of anything else.

I'm just relaying what Sparklist's tech support said; I know nothing
about mailer programs and don't know how to filter out attacks like
this, if it can even be done.

--
Steve Furlong, Computer Condottiere     Have GNU, will travel
   518-374-4720     [EMAIL PROTECTED]