On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 07:53:16PM -0400, Bad Max wrote:

> >  I Got a question about this: if there´s no software to raelly "clean" the
> >  harddisk of information, What about overwritting all the harddisk or
> >  formatting it? Does any trace of information stays "alive"? Maybe is a
> >  obvious question but is something I have it cleared. Thanks
> >

> A company called "Ontrack" claimed that they were capable of reading datas
> on drive after several format.

I'm not shure if this was mentioned here before. But there is a suite
of tools called secure_delete at the THC site (http://r3wt.base.org).
Author: (c) 1997-99 by van Hauser / THC  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
It is based on the findings of Peter Gutman presented at usenix6.
Looks interesting to me. The claim is to make recovery of the data
impossible. If the time required for the process where a measure of
quality it should be good ;-).

Tom

--
/* Fuck me gently with a chainsaw... */
(David S. Miller in /usr/src/linux/arch/sparc/kernel/ptrace.c)