Jim - have you sent mail to Hugh and John directly?  Or just to
the mailing list bot-owners, plus postmaster and root,
which they don't likely check very often, even when Hugh's not on
yet another summer of international travel?

You probably don't want to drop JYA or Hugh or Pablos,
though they could easily enough be redirected.
Some of the subscribers are clearly gateways to local Usenet groups
that let people read the list with newsreaders.
I'm not sure how many of these are single-reader systems and how many
are universities or other sites with multiple readers,
but it's difficult to tell what name the user actually posts with.

There's also a problem with +enhanced SMTP addresses, which allow the user to
add "+something" to the end of their user name, so they can sort message
streams,
but their outgoing mail probably won't have the plus-info.  For instance
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
probably would send mail to the list as
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
and any "only accept mail from subscribers" option needs to address them.

I think it does make sense to move the toad users to a different server
and set an autoresponder pointing to the current list-server locations.
That won't prevent the problem of harassers subscribing the list to other
lists,
but it's a start.  The big negative about it is that
originating users at one-way remailers won't get the bouncegrams,
but most people who know how to use remailers can find us anyway.

        Bill

At 10:07 AM 7/19/00 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've sent a couple of emails to the toad.com operators and have received
>nothing back. I see this is indicating a distinct lack of interest on
>their part.
>
>As of today the current toad.com member list is below. It looks like
>we could drop it completely if cyberpass and algebra would drop.
>
>Note that this does not prevent the toad.com operators from participating
>in the current CDR. Only that the current CDR doesn't wish to participate
>in the original list any longer.
>
>Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 08:34:19 -0700 (PDT)
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Your request of Majordomo was: