At 12:20 AM 7/30/00 -0700, Matt McDole wrote:
>I was wondering if there was encrytion software that didnt limit your to
>4096 bit key size, I am looking to go higher. - Any suggestions?

Let's see - either you're trolling (:-) or you're expecting a
semi-major mathematical breakthrough, enough to kill 4096 bits but
not major enough to make RSA totally unusable,
or you're expecting your application to last substantially longer
than the fraction of the age of the universe most of us are expecting to
experience?  Or you're expecting Moore's Law to keep doubling speeds
every 1-2 years for the rest of your life?

Key length calculations aren't strictly exponential, but they're close
enough that if 1024 bits really isn't enough, 1536 certainly is.
The tradeoffs with longer keys are that it reduces the number of people
you can communicate with, which is substantially more of a security
threat than the length of the keys, and that it pushes you toward
homebrew software that's less tested than widely-used software,
which means there's a higher risk of bugginess.

                                Thanks!
                                        Bill
Bill Stewart, [EMAIL PROTECTED]