Does shifting the cost of millions of dollars every month on to other
businesses, individuals and governments qualify as "significant (heck,
even measurable) harm"?  Yes.

Spam is VERY EXPENSIVE -- this document explains why...
http://www.techweb.com/se/directlink.cgi?INW19980504S0003

Spam has also been defined, *in multiple court cases*, as "trespassing
upon a chattel", as denial of service attacks (from the flood of
bounces from the fake return addresses crippling third party servers,
)fraud and damaging business reputations (when spammers use fake
addresses to blame innocent 3rd party businesses), and as theft of
service.  Do you consider trespassing, denial of service attacks,
fraud, damaging reputations, and stealing services ethical behavior?

"All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do
nothing."

- -Edmond Burke

"Shut up and eat your spam"

- -Anonymous Spammer

- -
James D. Wilson, CCDA, MCP
"non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem"
William of Ockham (1285-1347/49)