At 09:03 AM 04/05/2000 -0700, ericm wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 05, 2000 at 10:16:54AM -0400, Matthew Gaylor wrote:
>> Tom Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >anyone here ever heard of DIN? it's something more narrow than ISO,
>> >specifying technical norms for products in germany. for example, there
>> >is a DIN that describes how screws look.
>>  From a nation that censors the speech of it's citizens, and who would
>> like to censor everyone, why should anyone be surprised that they
>> have a standard for screws?
>
>The US has standards for screws too- both the SAE standards
>which standardize thread forms, thread pitches and material
>hardness, and other standards for the aircraft industry and
>military which specify technical norms for their respective
>industries on top of the basic SAE standards.  So I guess
>that means that DELETED BY INTERNET CENSOR BOARD too.

I found that computer keyboards became much less comfortable to type on
when the US computer makers adopted German DIN standards
for keyboard ergonomics.  I suppose part of this is cheapness;
the old keyboards from Teletype and IBM that were made for
typing comfortably 8 hours per day were relatively expensive to make,
but they had excellent key-travel action and minimal wrist pain problems.
(The Model 33 Teletype wasn't thrilling, but things like the
Dataspeed 40 which were designed for forms-entry users were wonderful,
even if you had to do a lot of SHIFT and FUNCTION keys to get
Unix-critical characters.)

                                Thanks!
                                        Bill
Bill Stewart, [EMAIL PROTECTED]