On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 10:23:25PM -0700, Marshall Clow wrote:
> At 10:07 PM -0700 10/18/00, Nathan Saper wrote:

> > > So? What authority gets to decide what "decent" profits are?
> > > Businesses _should_ always seek to maximize their profits
> > > in the long term.
> >
> >My point is, it wouldn't be death for the business if they were forced
> >to insure people with genetic abnormalities.
>
> You'd have to do more than blindly assert that before I would agree.
>
> Even if I was willing to concede that point, you still have skated
> around the "Who gets set up as arbiter of 'decent' profits" question.

Maybe "decent profits" was bad word choice.  Perhaps I should have
said "insuring people with genetic abnormalities would not drastically
effect the insurance company's bottom line."  "Drastically" is, of
course, qualitative, but I think it's fairly obvious whether or not a
certain action is doing a terrible amount of damage to a company's profits.

> > > What is preventing them from simply paying for their treatment?
> >
> >Coverage is often cheaper than treatment.
>
> So these people are entitled to something for nothing?
> (or in this case, $1500 of treatment for $1000 of premiums)?

That's the whole idea of insurance, isn't it?

> Why?

- --
Nathan Saper ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) | http://www.well.com/user/natedog/
GnuPG (ElGamal/DSA): 0x9AD0F382 | PGP 2.x (RSA): 0x386C4B91
Standard PGP & PGP/MIME OK      | AOL Instant Messenger: linuxfu