From: Jason McVetta <jason.mcve...@gmail.com>

On Jul 14, 2017 11:53, "jim bell" <jdb10...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I've long believed that people should stop using the term "capitalism" when
they probably mean, "free market".  "capitalism" might be the 1800 equivalent
of "crowdfunding".

>I agree people should use the word "capitalism" more sparingly.  However it's
>not because most people mean "free market" when they use the term.
>Rather it's because some people mean "free market", whatever that means.  Some
>mean "the dominance of economy and society by mechanistic usury".  Some mean
>"democracy", whatever that means.  Some mean "American style police state
>tyranny".  And some mean "the actually-existing socioeconomic system in
>America today".
>The profusion of definitions in use, and the sometimes fuzzy boundaries
>between them, make the word "capitalism" not very useful for communication
>without a lot of context.
I agree with all of that.  This amounts to a vague mish-mash of meanings, where
the meanings themselves can be gravely in error.  Yes, some people refer to the
American system as "free market", which I think is laughably inaccurate!  If
anything, I think the reason that governments support Riseup (sorta behind the
scenes) is actually to keep true "free markets" at bay.  I have long believed
that we would be much better off with a true, anarchistic free market (which
some call "anarcho-capitalism")  with what we currently call "government"
dissolved.
          Jim Bell