On Tue, 3 Jul 2018 20:48:05 +0530
mark M <write2ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Couldn’t we just prune the old spent transactions in the blockchain and keep
> the chain and dB smaller

        well, to verify new transactions you only need the UTXO set - problem
is, in order to get the UTXO set you have to parse the whole transaction
history starting from day zero.

        you can run a prunning node, which only keeps the UTXO set, but that
only saves storage space - you still need to process the whole blockchain at
least once.

        there doesn't seem to be an easy solution to the problem, otherwise it
would have been adopted, I'd assume.