https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-05659-z

>No reason such yeasts couldn't be informally transferred between people any
>different than sourdough starter nor express other psychotropics. Without the
>money incentives and common illicit channels it could end the war on illicit
>drugs.

Well, yes, not too long after I moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1980, I joked
that "somebody" should insert the gene for making THC into the blackberry plant
(which grows virtually endemic here!)  and spread the seeds by some kind of
crop-dusting operation.
However, I don't keep up with DNA technology, other than occasionally reading a
public-media article.  I have recently seen an ad for full-sequence DNA testing
for humans, at about $500.  I don't know if this would be automatically
applicable to plants or other animals, including marijuana plants, but I
certainly wouldn't know how to find the "THC gene".  But, experts would know
that, I think.   I suspect both plants have been full-sequenced by now.   How
to transfer the DNA, I also don't know.
              Jim Bell