https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/05/d-wave-offers-the-first-public-access-to-a-quantum-computer/

utside the crop of construction cranes that now dot Vancouver’s bright,
downtown greenways, in a suburban business park that reminds you more of
dentists and tax preparers, is a small office building belonging to D-Wave.
This office — squat, angular and sun-dappled one recent cool Autumn morning —
is unique in that it contains an infinite collection of parallel universes.

Founded in 1999 by Geordie Rose, D-Wave worked in relative obscurity on
esoteric problems associated with quantum computing. When Rose was a PhD
student at the University of British Columbia, he turned in an assignment that
outlined a quantum computing company. His entrepreneurship teacher at the time,
Haig Farris, found the young physicists ideas compelling enough to give him
$1,000 to buy a computer and a printer to type up a business plan.

The company consulted with academics until 2005, when Rose and his team decided
to focus on building usable quantum computers. The result, the Orion, launched
in 2007, and was used to classify drug molecules and play Sodoku. The business
now sells computers for up to $10 million to clients like Google, Microsoft and
Northrop Grumman.

“We’ve been focused on making quantum computing practical since day one. In
2010 we started offering remote cloud access to customers and today, we have
100 early applications running on our computers (70 percent of which were built
in the cloud),” said CEO Vern Brownell. “Through this work, our customers have
told us it takes more than just access to real quantum hardware to benefit from
quantum computing. In order to build a true quantum ecosystem, millions of
developers need the access and tools to get started with quantum.”

Now their computers are simulating weather patterns and tsunamis, optimizing
hotel ad displays, solving complex network problems and, thanks to a new,
open-source platform, could help you ride the quantum wave of computer
programming.

[end of partial quote]