https://reason.com/2020/06/30/11-redacted-seconds-of-video-of-fatal-2014-drug-bust-undermine-florida-cops-official-story/

[partial quote follows]

11 Redacted Seconds of Video of Fatal 2014 Drug Bust Undermine Florida Cops'
Official Story

Previously unreleased video shows Jerry Brown didn't have much time to react
before Pasco County deputies shot and killed him.
ZURI DAVIS | 6.30.2020 12:00 PM
(Screenshot via Pasco Sheriff's Office)
In 2014, Florida deputies shot and killed Jerry Dwight Brown during a
small-scale drug bust. Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said the deputies fired
after Brown refused several orders to comply. The State Attorney's Office
cleared the deputies of any wrongdoing due to Brown's alleged noncompliance.
But last week, the Tampa Bay Times released a video of the shooting that
challenges the department's official story.

Brown was shot and killed on July 1, 2014. The 41-year-old inadvertently sold
illegal prescription pills to an undercover deputy with Pasco County Sheriff's
Office (PCSO). The sting was part of a monthslong investigation into Brown.
After the undercover deputy motioned for fellow deputies to move in and arrest
Brown, the department claimed that they repeatedly ordered Brown to show his
hands and shot him after he made a sudden movement.

Brown died at a hospital following the shooting. The department found that he
was unarmed during the interaction.

The day after the shooting, Nocco told 10 Tampa Bay, "When we are ordering
commands to show me your hands, when we are telling somebody they need to
comply and they make motions that are not, and make our detectives feel their
lives are being threatened you have a millisecond to make a decision."

The sheriff's office provided Reason with a redacted version of the video from
the drug bust. In the video, an undercover deputy interacts with Brown outside
of Big Ben's Tires in Zephyrhills. He urges Brown to enter the vehicle to make
the sale. A reluctant Brown does so, takes the pills out, and begins to count
at the undercover deputy's request.

Armed deputies then approach the car and the video skips 11 seconds. When the
video picks up again, the deputies are pointing guns and surrounding the
vehicle.
On Friday, almost exactly six years after the shooting, the Tampa Bay Times
released the redacted portion of the video.
[end of partial quote]