"To describe the Donbas revolt as "coup d'etats" by "Russian proxy militias" is
simplistic, just like the description of the Maidan revolt as a fascist coup
backed by the US. Both the Maidan revolt and the anti-Maidan Donbas revolt were
complex. ... After a while the Russian state got full control of the situation
in the Donbas and repressed dissent. But this does not mean we should dismiss
the whole thing as a Russian plot. Russia took advantage of the alienation of
many people in the Donbas from the post-Maidan regime."

I think this is a good summary. But, as Chris says, Russia soon got full
control of the anti-Maiden. It got this through sending in troops,
paramilitaries, tanks and other heavy weapons, political operatives and
opportunists and Russian fascists etc, and conquered arbitrary territory with
guns. Therefore, I think Anthony is completely correct to describe this as
"Russian proxy militias, not-very covertly trained, armed, funded, and led by
Russia, staging armed coup d'etats in eastern Donbass."

Unfortunately, many see this military conquest as simply an extension of
whatever original civil movement was just beginning, among many
Russian-speakers and peoples in Donbas alienated by the new Ukraine regime. I
think this is a completely wrong way to look at it. By militarising a movement
which was not under military attack, where Russians were not oppressed (despite
common misconceptions, the Ukrainian language law changed in 2019), by seizing
territory by force of arms, Russia completely changed both the very nature of
the "anti-Maiden", and the nature of Ukrainian politics (this conquest took
place straight after the Crimea conquest - ie, the immediate result of the
popular uprising that overthrew Yanukovych was the carve-up of Ukraine by a
neighbouring superpower, with a resulting hardening of right-wing Ukrainian
nationalism).
Whatever original support the civil anti-Maiden may have had, it is hard to
know what survived the Russian-led military intervention and coups. We know
that 3.3 million people (!) have fled Donbass since then, the majority into
other areas of Ukraine. We also know that many of the irregular Ukrainian
militia on the frontlines in the Ukraine-government controlled two-thirds of
Donbas are residents who were uprooted as a result of the conflict and blame
the Russian intervention.
It must emphasised - facts continually ignored by those here more supportive of
the Russian position on the Donbas - that Donbas is ethnically mixed with a
Russian *minority*; that opinions, not only on incorporation into Russia but
even on autonomy; are just as mixed; that therefore the seizure of particular
territory and town halls with guns, but a foreign-led force, was entirely
arbitrary with little or no relation to any "self-determination" (I know this
will be ignored and we will tomorrow see the ritual stuff on this).
That doesn't mean a blank cheque for the Ukrainian military of course, in its
attempt to re-take its territory. Understanding the political role of the new
Ukrainian government, with its virulent version of Ukrainian nationalism -
means it was in no position to politically appeal, and so relied on a purely
military response - an inappropriate response given the complex ethnic/regional
issues in the east (with the proviso of what I said above about militia made up
of dispossessed people). And in this subsequent conflict in Donbas, *both
sides* committed war crimes; of the 14,000 killed in the last 8 years, 10,000
were troops from *both sides*; the 4000 civilians killed by *both sides* or by
landmines laid by both sides. It is one thing to condemn the Ukrainian military
for its own role, but quite another to only do this and not condemn the Russian
and Russian-owned troops who arbitrarily carved out territory first, and who
also fired guns and tanks. It would be unusual for a state to not try to regain
territory militarily seized.
Anthony:

"In regards to Barry's arguments, the Minsk Agreements were literally extracted
from Ukraine at gunpoint. If somebody had robbed you at gunpoint, and you
promised to never, never try to get what was taken back, would you keep your
promise?"

I'm not sure why Anthony's obvious point is routinely ignored on Minsk.
However, I don’t exactly agree with the continuous assertion that it is only
Ukraine allegedly blocking the Minsk agreement, with Russia supposedly pushing
for it. The agreement demands “The withdrawal of all foreign armed forces,
military equipment, as well as mercenaries from the territory of Ukraine under
the supervision of the OSCE. Disarmament of all illegal groups.” This is not
conditional on anything Ukraine does first. This has not happened. Ukraine’s
reason/excuse (take your pick) has always been that this has not happened. You
can decide this is not genuine, but it is hard to argue it is not valid. Russia
is blocking Minsk. . . "

Michael K

Repost not endorsement