-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Faustine
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 2:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: YOU ARE INVITED: "Will Encryption Protect Privacy and
Make Government Obsolete?" -- Next Independent Policy Forum (4/24/01)]

Quoting "James A. Donald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>     --
> At 04:50 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, Faustine wrote:
>
>http://www.best.com/~ddfr/Academic/Anarchy_and_Eff_Law/Anarchy_and_Eff_Law.
> html.
> >

> >I read these essays: is this really representative of his best work?
> It
> seemed
> >awfully rudimentary. In fact, I did a search on the NBER website for
> any real
> >academic journal articles by (or even mentioning) him: nada.
>
> Then you cannot have read very carefully, for a number of articles on
> his
> website are real academic journal articles.

Nothing good enough to get mentioned at NBER, the veritable gold standard
(if
you'll allow) of academic research in economics.

I think Friedman's popularity must have something to do with having a ready-
made audience for his works--people who care more about the fact that he's a
libertarian theorist than whether he's a responsible economist.

To say nothing of the idea of free riding on the reputation capital
accumulated
by his father. None of Larry Summers' academic works were prefaced by the
fact
that Samuelson and Arrow were his uncles--why isn't this true of Friedman
and
his dad? Cult of personality issues in play here? I havent seen any reason
rule it out just yet.

OH well. And if anybody cares to point me to the paper that best shows his
analytic prowess, please do. And how did the presentation go last night, any
reports? Interesting!

~Faustine.

****

'We live in a century in which obscurity protects better than the law--and
reassures more than innocence can.' Antoine Rivarol (1753-1801).